Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Stinging Nettle and Ricotta Ravioli

Gathering Edibles in District Six
Glueing the little fellows 


Ready for the pot
I was sitting in our office, all grumpy coz my ‘Braai Buddy, Dave and I didn’t make the final fifteen in ‘The Ultimate BraaiMatser’, when Mans said, “come, let’s shoot something”. I heaved a heavy sigh and reluctantly agreed. Stef, my chef mate, from just down the road and I had made stinging nettle ravioli, from the nettles in his garden about a week before. I rang Stef to tell him we were going to clean up his garden, but he told me his gardener had got there first. It seemed it wasn’t to be my day. Mans, with camera in hand was all amped, so I dragged my sorry arse off to his car and off we headed in search of some local stinging nettles. Mans suggested we start off foraging underneath a beautiful mural nearby, coz it was ‘photogenic’. When we got there, my day started to take a turn for the better, not only were there heaps of nettles but other edibles too. In this small patch, we found Nettles, Mint, Fennel, Cape Sorrel, and Purslane. With a glimmer of a smile, I covered my hand with a plastic bag to avoid the ‘dreaded ichies’ and plucked enough for our lunch. With the some fresh pasta dough left over from the night before I made ‘Urban Hunter Gatherer Stinging Nettle and Ricotta Ravioli’ served with a simple garlic, lemon zest, olive oil and oregano gremolata. Once again my smile was so big, that if I didn’t have ears my whole head would be an island.
Enjoy the fragrant taste and tingling mouth.
Yummy


STINGING NETTLE AND RICOTTA FILLING
Equal parts ricotta and wilted stinging nettles (about ½ a cup of each)
A sprinkle of oregano or marjoram
A nubbin of butter
A grating of nutmeg
A few generous pinches of parmigiano reggiano
Salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment